- 8 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cups flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 8 ounces dark chocolate
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper.
- Make the salted caramel sauce. Then pour the hot caramel over a parchment-lined sheet pan and stick it in the freezer for 5 minutes. See how to make salted caramel sauce here.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl. whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Heat the butter and brown sugar in a large mixing bowl in 15-20 sec increments whisking after each time. The mixture will be glossy and grainy.
- Take 4 ounces of the chocolate and rough chop it. You are going to melt the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl in 10-second increments. After 10 seconds stir. Repeat until the chocolate has fully melted.
- Whisk the melted chocolate into the butter-sugar mixture until mixed. If it’s warm, allow to cool for a minute.
- With a hand mixer on low, you are going to beat in the eggs one at a time. Beat for about 1 minute. This is the part that will give your brownies that shiny crackle top.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet, and gently fold in just until you see a little flour. Take the other 4 ounces of chocolate and give it a rough chop. Now, fold in the chocolate pieces.
- Pour batter into the lined pan and spread out evenly.
- With a small spoon, scoop out medium mounds of caramel and drop them in a different place on the brownie batter. Take the spoon and lightly spread the caramel, being careful not to mix the caramel into the batter. The caramel should be visible.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. For fudgy brownies, you’ll want to underbake them. Do the toothpicks test after 25 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the center of the brownies. If the toothpick comes out with wet batter and crumbs, it’s time to remove the pan from the oven. It will continue to bake as it cools.
- Cool completely before serving. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
Keywords: brownies, caramel brownies, salted caramel