Sandwich cookies have always reminded me of my childhood as that little scrappy redheaded boy! When Kick-the-Can and Red Light Green Light were the IT games to play. These triple chocolate chunk sandwich cookies are soft with crisp edges and with a vanilla cream cheese marshmallow filling. Let’s go make some!
There would always be someone in my family who would ask me (or make) to walk to our local convenience store for some random thing. Of course, I would begrudgingly cave in knowing that there would be two rewards for going. First, I would get to take adventurous shortcuts through the neighbor’s backyard. Secondly, I would get to keep the change! With the change, I would buy oatmeal sandwich cookies or chocolate fudge sandwich cookies and eat them on the way home. The ultimate win-win for an 8-year-old!
Every time I bite into one of these mouth-watering treats, the texture and flavor immediately transform me back to 1978!
Why are these triple chocolate chunk sandwich cookies so good?
Truth is, you will definitely need a large glass of ice-cold milk when you eat one of these fudgy chocolate chunk sandwich cookies. There is something life-changing about the combination of cookies with an ice-cold glass of milk!
They’re so easy to make – These sandwich cookies take no time at all to put together.
Uses simple ingredients – You will only need simple ingredients such flour, butter, eggs and cocoa powder to make these treats.
This recipe is very versatile – You can make smaller-sized sandwich cookies or these giant ones. Simply use a smaller cookie scoop.
Just using some basic ingredients, and nothing fancy, you will get these eye-dropping sandwich cookies. Flour, sugar, eggs, and butter are the cornerstone of really yummy baked goods. Oh, and chocolate too!
- All-purpose flour – I like using unbleached all-purpose flour for my baked goods. Bleached flour works great too. Good old-fashioned flour will create a light and soft texture.
- Sugar – I am using a combination of white granulated sugar and light brown sugar. The light brown sugar adds moisture and a subtle caramel flavor.
- Eggs – Just one egg for this recipe. Just be sure the egg is at room temperature.
- Chocolate – for a richer chocolate cookie, I used a combination of unsweetened cocoa powder, dark chocolate, and semi-sweet chocolate chips.
How to make Triple Chocolate Chunk Sandwich Cookies
This is the perfect recipe for the dedicated home baker!
Step 1: Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, espresso powder, and salt. I find that combining these first will ensure that you won’t over mix the cookie dough.
Step 2: Melt the dark chocolate in a double boiler and let cool. If you prefer to use a microwave, just place the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl, and microwave in 30-sec increments on low until melted. Once the chips are warm, all you willed to do is stir until melted.
Step 3: Beat together the sugars and butter until fluffy and light in color. Beat in the cooled melted chocolate.
Step 4: At a lower speed, beat in the egg and vanilla extract until combined.
Step 5: Continuing on the lowest speed of your stand mixer, incorporate the flour-cocoa mixture just until you don’t see any more flour.
Step 6: Turn off the stand mixer, and gently fold in the chocolate chips.
Step 7: Scoop and bake!
Step 8: For the cream cheese marshmallow filling, just add all the filling ingredients to a mixing bowl, and beat until smooth and fluffy!
Tips for the best…
To help you avoid a lot of trial and error, follow these tips! So, here’s what you should do:
- Remember not to over bake the cookies – Like brownies, you get a softer, chewier cookie of you pull them out slightly underbaked. They will continue to bake a little as they cool –
- Let the cookies completely cool down before assembling – Trust me. Even the slightest heat from warm cookies will melt the filling, and your sandwiches will become the next Salvador Dali painting!
- You will want to use room temperature ingredients – This one is so important if you don’t want flat cookies. Dairy and eggs form an emulsion, and while in the oven, the air is trapped producing a fluffy cookie.
- Use a cookie scoop – Whichever cookie size you aim for, I highly recommend using a cookie scoop for evenly shaped and perfect-sized cookies. Trust me. Cookie scoops are so amazing because they help take out the guesswork.
- If you prefer to melt chocolate using a microwave – Place the chopped chocolate in a heat-safe mixing bowl. Add some water to a saucepan (about 2 inches) and bring to a light simmer. Place the bowl on top of the pan and stir the chocolate until melted.
How to store …
Storing these sandwich cookies is pretty easy. All you need are a few essentials, and you will have long-lasting chocolate cookie sandwich treats.
- You can store these cookies at room temperature during the day. Place them on a plate or tray and cover with plastic wrap. Just before heading to bed, pop them in the fridge (covered) overnight. Just be sure to pull them out the next day.
- If you want to keep these cookies for months and still have them tasting bakery fresh, store them in the freezer in an airtight freezer-safe container. They will last up to 3 months.