My mom’s super moist chocolate cupcakes with a marshamallow frosting.
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- heaping 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons coconut cream
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup hot esperesso, instant or ground
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 light corn syrup
- 5 learge egg whites, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease 6 muffin cups or place 6 liners in a muffin pan. Set aside.
- With a stand or hand mixer, combine the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add the milk, egg, cocnut oil and vanilla extract and beat for two minutes.
- Add hot coffee or hot water and beat until combined. The batter will be runny.
- Divide evenly between the 6 prepared muffin cups. Bake for 15 minutes until the tops spring back when you touch them and a toothpick inserted intot he center comes out clean.
- Let stand for a minute and then transfer cupcakes to a cooling rack. Completely cool before applying the frosting.
The Marshallow Frosting
- Add 1 cup plus two tabelspoons of sugar and corn syrup to a medium sauce pan over medium low heat. Bring mixture to a boil stirring. Wash down the sides of the pan with a wet brush and continue to cook the sugar syrup, without stirring, until a candy termomometer reaches approximately 230 degrees.
- In the meantime, whip the eggwhites and the ramining suger until soft peaks form.
- White beating, add the sugar syrup in a slow steady stream down the side of the bowl until thick, fluffy and cool. This should take about 7-9 minutes.
- Once the cupcakes have completely cooled, they are ready to frost.
Make sure the eggwhites are at room tempurature. If they are cold they won’t whip up into soft peaks.
Be sure the cupcakes are completely cooled before frosting them. You can even place the cupcakes into the freezer for about 5 minutes to speed up the cooling.
Keywords: My mom's super moist chocolate cupcakes