A soft, moist cinnamon roll with lots of cinnamon, lots of roll and lots of ooey gooey cream cheese icing. This IS “the icing on the cake” as they say.
What you will need
- stand mixer (or by hand)
- measuring utensils
- mixing bowls
- rolling pin
Cinnamon roll filling
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cups light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch (cornstarch helps to keep filling in place).
Yeast Cinnamon Roll Dough
- 3 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour + up to 1/2 cup for later
- 2 1/4 teaspoon or 1 packet of active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 large egg
Cream Cheese Icing
- I6 ounces of cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- Add the filling ingredients to a small bowl and mix until well combined. Set aside.
Cinnamon Roll Muffin Dough
- Preheat oven to 200° F. Grease a muffin pan.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the flour, yeast and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine the milk, butter and sugar. Heat in the microwave for 1 minute. Mix until combined.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients to the flour and mix until it forms into a a sticky dough ball.
- Continue mix the dough until it becomes a little elastic. About 2-3 minutes
- Add 1/2 cup of flour, 1 tablespoon at a time until the dough stops sticking and leaves the side of the bowl.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and proof for 10 minutes.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface and roll out to a 12×24 inch rectangle. If you prefer perfect dough swirls, you can cut straight down each side creating a straight edge. Save the leftover dough for making baked cinnamon sticks.
- Smear the butter onto the dough leaving about an each from the edge without butter. Spread and evenly coat the cinnamon sugar mixture over the butter.
- Now start rolling the dough vertically. So that the result as a long dough log.
- Cut into 12 equal pieces and place each one into a well greased muffin pan.
- Turn off the oven. NO, I am so serious. Turn it off.
- Place a foil tent over the muffin pan and proof in the oven for 30 minutes. I even left the oven door open for a few minutes to lower the temperature.
- Pull the pan out of the oven, turn up the heat to 350° F and pull off the foil. Once the oven heats up to 350, you can place the muffins back into the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- Once out of the oven, let the muffins cool for a minute. Then place them onto a cooling rack. Drizzle with icing and enjoy!
- You can replace the butter and milk with plant-based ingredients. That’s what I did for this batch they turned out perfectly.
- The muffins will raise up into a tower.
- Use floss for cutting the dough log into perfectly round pieces.
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 55 Minuted
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cinnamon roll muffins, cinnamon, sweet