I remember as a kid in the 1970s, we didn’t have anything like an ice cream machine. We took some rock salt from the garage, two of my parent’s Maxwell House coffee cans, one large and one medium, and that would be our ice cream maker. How, do you ask? We placed all the ingredients into the medium sized can, and sealed it. Then we placed that inside the large coffee can, poured rock salt in the reservoir, sealed it. We would roll the can back and fourth on the floor until the ice cream froze. Pretty cool, huh. As a kid I was obsessed with this method of ice cream making.
Today, you still don’t need an ice cream maker to make delicious, soft, creamy ice cream. This scrumptious no-churn ice cream is made with Justin’s Peanut Butter Cups. Justin’s Nut Butter Cups come in a selection of flavors that are made with organic plant-based ingredients.
Ingredients for No-Churn Peanut Butter Cup Pretzel Ice Cream
I love some peanut butter ice cream. I remember the days when I was 12 years old and would come running home from school with a pint of peanut butter ice cream. I would plant myself in front of the TV and begin watching my shows like The Brady Bunch and The Andy Griffith Show. This was the early 80’s, and it was a time when disco was ending and new wave was beginning.
Ever since then, peanut butter ice cream is my ultimate favorite go-to flavor. Now that I’ve discovered a way to make it, I don’t think I will ever buy store-bought again.
Heavy whipping cream: The heavy whipping cream is the main part that will make your no-churn ice cream ultra silky and smooth.
Sweetened condensed milk: The sweetened condensed milk adds the sweetness plus eliminates the extra step done in making the traditional custard for the ice cream.
Peanut butter cups: I used Justin’s Milk Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups. His peanut butter cups are plant based and with minimal organic ingredients. There is definitely a more pure flavor to these scrumptious cups.
Chocolate chips: Grab a bag of any kind of chocolate chip that suits your palate. I used semi-sweet because I like the bitterness of the chocolate.
Vanilla extract: I will be making my own extract soon. However, don’t leave out this step because vanilla is the hallmark of ice creams.
Salt: A dash of salt enhances all the flavors of this ice cream.
How to make No-Churn Peanut Butter Cup Pretzel Ice Cream
The making part is easy. The eating part is easier. You can certainly which this all by hand, but having a hand or stand mixer will just speed up the time between the freezing and the eating.
- Whip the heavy whipping cream until soft peaks form.
- Mix together the sweetened condensed milk, broken up Justin’s peanut butter cups, crushed pretzels, vanilla and salt.
- Gently fold the whipped cream into the sweetened condensed milk mixture.
- Freeze for several hours or over night.
Helpful tip for making the yummiest peanut butter cup pretzel ice cream
- Careful not to over beat the heavy whipping cream. Before you know it, you’ll be churing butter instead of making whipped cream.
- When folding the whipped cream into the condensed milk mixture, it is important not to over mix. You want the whipped cream to keep it’s aerated fluffiness.
- Freeze the peanut butter cups before chopping. This will relieve the headache of trying to rough chop soft and gooey peanut butter cups. Hey, I’m a fan of not freezing ooey gooey candy and prefer the ooey gooey verson, but for this, it will make your job a whole lot easier.