Soft, flaky crumbly lemon poppyseed scones with a sweet-tart lemon icing. Recipe inspired by Broma Bakery!
- Zest of one lemon (approx. 1 tablespoon)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cold and cut into small cubes
- 6 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- 6–8 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons poppyseeds
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- Juice from one lemon (or more if needed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the sugar and lemon zest to a large bowl. Rub together mixture to release the oils from the zest.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt to the lemon sugar. Place in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Using a pastry cutter cut in the cubed butter until your mixture resembles coarse sand.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the Greek yogurt, heavy cream and vanilla. Add to the dry ingredients and mix with a fork unitl the dough starts to pull away from the sides. The dough shouldn’t be wet.
- Roll the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and quickly form a square approximatley 2 inches thick. Next, cut the square vertically and then horizontally. You will have 4 pieces. Next, cut each square to into 8 trinagles. Cut those those into 16 triangles. You will have 16 mini scones.
- Place the mini scones onto the baking sheet leavint 2 inches of room between each piece. Use another tray if you need to.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the scones are starting to brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before transfering them to a cooling rack.
- Combine all the icing ingredients and mix until you acheive a thick creamy icing. Once the scones have cooled, spread the icing oover the top, sprinkle with poppyseeds and lemon zest.
All of your ingredients should be cold. You can place the butter in the refrigerator for 10 mnutes before cutting it into the flour.
Avoid using your fingers to cut in the butter. The heat from your hand will melt the butter and your scones will come out thick and dry.
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 25 Minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Irish
Keywords: Mini Lemon Poppyseed Scones