I am coining Thursdays, Thursday Splurgeday!
Once in a while it’s ok to give ourselves permission to indulge a little. (Or a lot if you’re one of those kinds of people who can hyper indulge without recourse. How dare you!!
These Honey O’s Peanut Butter Squares are peanut buttery, sweetened with honey, layered with semi-sweet chocolate and definitely comfort food reimagined with a healthy twist.
One of my favorite ways to prepare a dessert is to Make it off-the-cuff or impromptu. Just me and my handy dandy notes app on my iPhone and I jot down what ingredients I believe would taste amazing together. I mean, peanut butter and honey? Like, yessss!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
Easy Peasy: You’ll love this recipe because it’s super easy and only a handful of ingredient. Just when you’re in a dessert pinch or have that hankering for something sweet this treat will satisfy your desires.
Dessert reimagined: This recipe is altered just a bit to add a little healthy to your day.
- Peanut butter
- Honey O cereal
- Coconut oil
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Unsalted peanuts
- Remember not to heat the peanut butter mixture for too long or you’ll get a clumpy clump of peanut butter. Heat just enough to blend.
- You can go nuts over nuts. Add which ever nut and nut butter you desire.
- Dark chocolate works just as well as semi-sweet. Perfect for minimizing added sugar.
HOW TO MAKE Honey O’Peanut Butter Squares STEP BY STEP
Step 1 – Warm the peanut butter and honey in a sauce pan. Then mix in the cereal and nuts.
Step 2 – Spread mixture out on in a 8×8 pan. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
Step 3 – Melted chocolate chips, coconut oil and peanut butter in a double boiler. Layer the chocolate mixture over the firmed cereal, top with more cereal and nuts.
Step 4 – refrigerate for an hour. Cut into squares.
RECIPE TIPS AND TRICKS
- Chill out. Chill the cereal and peanut butter mixture before adding the chocolate on top.
- It’s in there! Adding peanut butter to the melted chelate makes a kind of ganache. Sets up nicely and adds a peanut buttery flavor.
- Adding coconut oil to the chocolate makes the chocolate smooth and shiny and hardens faster.
STORAGE AND REHEATING
- Store these squares in an airtight container somewhere cool. They can stay out of the fridge for up to a week.
ADDITIONS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
Add more chocolate chips on top.
Use almond butter instead of peanut butter.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How long will the squares last?
The can last up to a week stored in an airtight container.
Can I use Agave or real maple syrup instead of sugar?
Absolutely. You can use any kind of natural syrup sweetener.
OTHER RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE BLOCK GRAPHIC WITH – PLEASE GVE IT STAR RATING BELOW OR TAG @EATINGAFTERCHEMO ON INSTAGRAM – IT HELPS ME SO MUCH! SUBSCRIBE HERE AND FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK, TWITTER AND PINTEREST!Print