- 8 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cups flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 8 ounces dark chocolate
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups mini chocolate eggs, some crushed and some whole
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper.
- Make the salted caramel sauce. Then pour the hot caramel over a parchment-lined sheet pan. Place the sheet pan in the freezer for 5 minutes.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl. whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Inside of a large mixing bow, microwave the butter and brown in 15-20 sec increments whisking after each time. Do not let the mixture boil. The mixture will be glossy and still a little grainy.
- Take 4 ounces of the chocolate and rough chop it. You are going to melt the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl in 10-second increments. After 10 seconds stir. Repeat until the chocolate has fully melted.
- Whisk the melted chocolate into the butter-sugar mixture until mixed. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
- With a hand mixer on low, you are going to beat in the eggs one at a time. Beat for about 1 minute. This is the part that will give your brownies that shiny crackle top.
- Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet. It’s ok if there is a tiny bit of flour showing. Take the other 4 ounces of chocolate and give it a rough chop. Now, fold in the chocolate pieces.
- Pour the batter into a lined pan and spread it out evenly.
- With a small spoon, scoop out medium mounds of caramel and drop them in a different place onto the brownie batter. Take a spoon and lightly swirl the caramel, being careful not to mix the caramel into the batter too much. The caramel should be visible.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. For fudgy brownies, you’ll want to underbake them. Do the toothpicks test after 25 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the center of the brownies. If the toothpick comes out with a little bit of wet batter and crumbs, it’s time to remove the pan from the oven. It will continue to bake as it cools.
- Cool completely before serving. Enjoy!