For a healthy buffalo wing alternative, these Buffalo Cauliflower Wings are delicious! I mean, why not, right? As a single guy, I look for meals to make where I can just prepare enough for one.
Yeah I know, chicken wings vs. cauliflower wings. Apples and oranges, I totally get it. But I can’t even tell you how amazing this turned out. But I will try!
BUFFALO CAULIFLOWER WINGS For ANY occasion. Even if you just want to sit down and chow on these as a meal, you will be satisfied.
These Buffalo Cauliflower Wings are so easy to make. Made with the obvious ingredient – fresh cauliflower. Then smoked paprika, garlic and onion powder. AND of course, Frank’s Hot Sauce, honey and coconut oil as the wet coating.
Oh, Buffalo Chicken wings, you ain’t got nothing in theses! Well, except that you’re actually real wings. But that’s all! 🤣
Ooh Em. Geeee!
How to make Buffalo Cauliflower Wings plant-based and gluten-free:
This can be done easily be done with a few swaps and substitutions
Strictly Plant-Based Buffalo Cauliflower Wings
- The buttermilk: You can be easily substitute buttermilk for a homemade plant-based version by adding a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to one cup of oat milk (or any plain, unsweetened plant-based milk) and let stand for about 5 minutes.
- Replace the butter: Swap out the butter in the buffalo sauce with a plant-based butter like Earth Balance (not sponsered) or melted coconut oil.
Gluten-Free Buffalo Cauliflower Wings
- The flour: Swap out the flour in the coating for a gluten-free all-purpose flour. Bob’s Red Mill has fabulous options for gluten-free products.
What ingredients you’ll need for Buffalo Cauliflower Wings:
- Fresh Veggies: One head of cauliflower will do ya for the wings. I wouldn’t use frozen because of the moisture content within frozen vegetables. Frozen vegetables are often boiled or blanced before freezing, The vegetables retains a lot of water from bowling. And what wings doesn’t come with traditional carrot sticks (or baby carrots) and celery sticks?
- All-purpose flour: I use Bob’s Red Mill or King Aurthur Unbleached all purpose flours. I like the unbleached because it means less processing and less chemicals. Plus, it’s all-purpose. Smart right? lol
- Hot sauce: I say if you can, make your buffalo sauce from scratch. The only pre-made part that I use is the hot sauce part. I use Frank’s Hot Sauce.
- Spices: I don’t know about you, but I always have these spices like ontion powder, garlic powder and smoked paprika in my pantry. Just a few spices to have on hand.
- Butter: I use an unsalted butter
How to make Buffalo Cauliflower Wings:
- The buffalo sauce: Pour the buffalo sauce ingredients into a bowl and mix until combined. It will be a bit thick, but you will be so glad how crunchy they are after coming out of the oven.
- The Batter: A good unbleached all-purpose flour works really well for this batter. You could use wheat flour too.
- Cauliflower: Use fresh head of cauliflower. Frozen cauliflower contains too much liquid and they are pre-cooked. Which will make for some very soggy buffalo cauliflower wings.
- Spices: I used smoked parika because the smokiness adds to the theme and the illusion that they have been deep fried. Like always, it does make a difference what kind of fried spices you use. Try to get quality spices without any additives.
How to store these Buffalo Cauliflower Wings:
- You may actually not have any left over: These Buffalo cauliflower wings are so good and addicitve, they will go pretty quickly.
- Make what you need: Try to prepare the exact amount that you know will be eaten.
- Left-overs: If you do have left-overs, first make a new batch of the buffalo cauliflower wing sauce and set aside. Take the left-overs and bake a pre-heated oven (450 degrees F) for about 10 minutes, until reheated and outside is a bit crispy. Toss in the sauce and enjoy!